Vancouver born Architect and Urban Ecologist, David Wong (黃海天), founded his first architectural company in 1992. In a few years, it became one of Singapore’s largest design firms.
David has earned a reputation for designing “healthy buildings” and for “place making” – designing homes, regional town centres, resorts, and health & wellness spas in over a dozen countries. For more than 3 decades, his background as a Biologist has helped his team embrace sustainability, healing, and a respect for the environment.
- Over 30 years of hands-on sustainable design experience, David continues to advise government and industry leaders on common sense ‘green’ initiatives that is healthy for business.
- Accomplishments include some of China’s first ‘green’ towers, one of Metro Vancouver’s first LEED* Gold buildings; currently engaged in the creation of culturally appropriate and healthy homes for First Nations’ (Native American) communities with Ecotrust Canada.
- David was named by the Vancouver Sun newspaper as one of BCs “100 influential Chinese-Canadians” and was a recipient of a 2012 Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal in recognition of his professional work and volunteer efforts to champion environmental causes and green design.
- David was inducted as an Honorary Witness by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada on September 18, 2013
David spends his free time cultivating his carnivorous plant collection, and sharing his love for frogs with presentations at schools and at community gatherings.
His acclaimed graphic novel (comic book), Escape to Gold Mountain – a Graphic History of the Chinese to North America , published by Arsenal Pulp Press, was released in October 2012.
- * LEED = Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design
Recipient of her Majesty’s
Diamond Jubilee medal
David H.T. Wong ARCHITECT, AIBC